A short drama containing five people.

[Scene: A courtroom. The judge, the prosecutor, the defense lawyer, the defendant, and the witness are present.] Judge: Order in the court! We are here to hear the case of Mr. John Smith, who is accused of robbing a bank. Mr. Prosecutor, you may begin your opening statement. Prosecutor: Thank you, Your Honor. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the evidence will show that Mr. Smith is guilty of the crime he is charged with. He was caught on camera entering the bank, wearing a mask and carrying a gun. He threatened the teller and took the money from the cash register. He then fled the scene in a stolen car, which was later found abandoned near his apartment. The police also found the mask, the gun, and the money in his possession. There is no doubt that Mr. Smith is the bank robber, and he should be punished accordingly. Defense Lawyer: Objection, Your Honor. The prosecutor is making a premature conclusion based on circumstantial evidence. There is no proof that Mr. Smith was the one who wore the mask and the gun, or that he was the one who drove the car. The evidence could have been planted by someone else to frame him. Mr. Smith is innocent until proven guilty, and the prosecutor has not proven anything. Judge: Sustained. Mr. Prosecutor, please stick to the facts and avoid speculation. Prosecutor: I apologize, Your Honor. I will present the facts and let the jury decide for themselves. I call my first witness, Ms. Jane Doe, the bank teller who was robbed by Mr. Smith. Witness: I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Prosecutor: Ms. Doe, can you please tell us what happened on the day of the robbery? Witness: Yes, I can. It was around 10 a.m. on a Monday. I was working at the bank, when a man came in, wearing a mask and a gun. He pointed the gun at me and shouted, "Give me all the money or I'll shoot!" I was terrified, so I did what he said. I opened the cash register and gave him all the money. He then ran out of the bank and got into a car that was waiting outside. Prosecutor: Did you get a good look at the man's face? Witness: No, I didn't. He was wearing a mask that covered his whole face. I only saw his eyes. Prosecutor: What about his voice? Did you recognize his voice? Witness: No, I didn't. He was wearing a mask that muffled his voice. I only heard his words. Prosecutor: What about his height, weight, or build? Did you notice anything distinctive about him? Witness: No, I didn't. He was wearing a mask that hid his features. I only saw his clothes. Prosecutor: What kind of clothes was he wearing? Witness: He was wearing a black hoodie, black pants, and black shoes. Prosecutor: Thank you, Ms. Doe. No further questions, Your Honor. Judge: Mr. Defense Lawyer, do you wish to cross-examine the witness? Defense Lawyer: Yes, I do, Your Honor. Ms. Doe, you said that you did not see the robber's face, hear his voice, or notice his body. How can you be sure that it was Mr. Smith who robbed you? Witness: Well, I can't be sure, but I assume it was him. Defense Lawyer: You assume? Based on what? Witness: Based on the evidence that the police found. Defense Lawyer: But you did not see the evidence yourself, did you? Witness: No, I didn't. Defense Lawyer: Then how do you know that the evidence is reliable? Witness: Well, I trust the police. Defense Lawyer: You trust the police? Even though they could have made a mistake, or worse, planted the evidence to frame Mr. Smith? Witness: No, I don't think they would do that. Defense Lawyer: You don't think, or you don't know? Witness: I don't know, but I don't think so. Defense Lawyer: So, you are basing your assumption on a belief, not a fact? Witness: I guess so. Defense Lawyer: No further questions, Your Honor. The witness has admitted that she has no direct knowledge of the identity of the robber, and that her assumption is based on a belief, not a fact. This is not enough to convict Mr. Smith beyond a reasonable doubt. Judge: Thank you, Mr. Defense Lawyer. Mr. Prosecutor, do you have any other witnesses or evidence to present? Prosecutor: No, Your Honor. I rest my case. Judge: Very well. Mr. Defense Lawyer, do you have any witnesses or evidence to present? Defense Lawyer: No, Your Honor. I rest my case. Judge: All right. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you have heard the arguments and the evidence from both sides. It is now your duty to decide whether Mr. Smith is guilty or not guilty of robbing the bank. You must base your verdict on the facts, not on your feelings or opinions. You must also be unanimous in your decision. If you have any reasonable doubt about Mr. Smith's guilt, you must acquit him. If you have no reasonable doubt about his guilt, you must convict him. Please retire to the jury room and deliberate. I will wait for your verdict. [The jury leaves the courtroom. The judge, the prosecutor, the defense lawyer, the defendant, and the witness wait in silence.] [End of scene.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Want to Learn English?